Saturday, July 7, 2012

a nice Kandinsky essay

This is an interesting and well-written evaluation by Yakov Rabinovich:

Kandinsky: Master of the Mystic Arts


I think the tie-in to Doctor Strange -- my favorite old comic book character -- is cool.





I had also written a Kandinsky essay, in which I took the artist to task for his use of the word "spiritual." I'm not sure if my argument was a coherent or appropriate one. I felt that such a word has to do with something beyond aspects of human psychology or issues of symbolic proximity or intuitions of plane-space hierarchy or concerns with theosophy or even allusions to a God. Mr. Rabinovich apparently has no qualms or caveats about the painter's use of the word "spiritual." That is a reasonable perspective and is most likely the majority opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment