Saturday, August 17, 2013

Things that fascinate me...


...are not things that fascinate others. That's okay (I suppose).

Certain things from the past are, for me, not in the past. They remain fresh and are more breaking than any so-called Breaking News! Things from the past of a peculiar depth and remarkable quality reverberate constantly into my present, with a soul-enriching effect.

Right now at Amazon.com, the hardback book The Kaprálová Companion is available. If I had the money, I would buy and read this book. I would read it so intensely that the words would quiver like hummingbirds on the pages. 

Czech composer Vítězslava Kaprálová died at the age of 25. She bequeathed to posterity a treasure of music that bends my mind. Listening to it and contemplating it are important things for me.  I have no idea how such things happen in the world -- the appearance of a talent and sensibility in the past of such subtle power that it can rehabilitate the present. 


amazon.com



More info on this composer: The Kapralova Society.


No comments:

Post a Comment