Saturday, April 5, 2014

my boring hypothesis


Before the internet and social networking, there was, in individuals, a concentration, an intensification of consciousness and being. Since the internet and social networking, there has been, in individuals, a dispersal, a dilution of consciousness and being. 

A possible equivocation: my poems and mini-essays -- this very blog, in fact -- would not exist if not for the internet and social networking. If not for the decanting of worlds and souls previously unsuspected into my world and soul. My stuff took on life and being inside this half-ghostly milieu, this floating reservoir of exotic presences. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, prior to the internet and social networking, individual consciousness was, perhaps, more of a solid than a liquid or atmospheric substance. 

I suppose I'm having a sort of Walter Benjaminian moment. 


Blue Rigi: Lake of Lucerne
J.M.W. Turner (1842)


1 comment:

  1. There exists a temptation to spread one's self too thinly.

    What a lovely Turner landscape. I don't think I've seen it before.

    ReplyDelete